Ads By CbproAds

Wednesday, May 18, 2005


Rome!

Tags:



It was on a Thursday evening when my boyfriend asked if I wanted to take the Traghetti (ferry) to Roma. We both had a long week and wanted to get away. We decided to leave early Saturday morning and return on Sunday.

Well, we started from the southern tip of Sicily in Comiso. We drove through the vineyards, nearby villages, and Catania until we were in Messina, Sicily.

The water was a dark blue and the sky was a beautiful blue with very few clouds. The ferry was approaching. Once in Italy, we drove through Reggio, Naples, and Pompeii Italia (Italy for us American folks). While in Reggio, we had to turn around. Someone a few cars in front of us had been shot while driving in traffic.

We eventually made it to Rome!!! I was so excited. Have you ever had a dog that stuck it's head out the window as his ears flopped in the wind? Well, that was me. I believe the whole time we drove in Rome, my head was out the window amazed at the fact I was in Rome. Good thing my boyfriend spoke fluent Italian. We were able to get around really good throughout Italy and Sicily. As for me, I only spoke present tense. At least the locals could understand me. Oh well, I was the African American two year old when it came to speaking the language. (But I got much better with time..trust me). Thank goodness I had a really good boyfriend. He taught me Italian, took me everywhere, and showed me a great time in Sicily and Italy. Back to the trip.

We visited the Colosseum and the nearby attractions. We stayed overnight and enjoyed the scenery and culture (as my memory serves me). On the way back to Sicily, we stopped in Reggio, Italia.

I recall going to a museum that had an exhibit of two African pirates. Their ship had sank hundreds of years ago because of the weight of treasure they had aboard their ship. The locals were selling replicas of their statues everywhere you went in Reggio.

Let me explain these enormous statues I saw in the museum. The statues were pure bronze and their teeth were made of silver. The anatomy and color of the statues clearly depicted they were of African descent. Can you imagine having so much gold, silver, and other treasures that your ship sank??? Talking about having a bad day. The statues were on high stands and the statues had to be at least seven feet tall.

Parts of the ship were in the museum. I was amazed at the size of the ship and tried to imagine having so much gold that I ship that size sunk from the weight of it.

Below are a few prints of the gorgeous sites I saw and some I wish I had seen. (Whatever you do, have Tortellini and a dish called Fruitti de Mare if you're in Sicily or Italy. Fruitti de Mare is similiar to Paella in Espana (Spain). The only difference is rice versus pasta). Enjoy!


Colosseum, Rome, Italy




Buy this Giclee Print at AllPosters.com



Street At Night, Catania, Italy




Buy this Giclee Print at AllPosters.com




Cefalu, Sicily, Italy




Buy this Giclee Print at AllPosters.com



A twilight view of a Greek temple in the Valley of the Temples in Sicily




Buy this Giclee Print at AllPosters.com


Oh how I love Sicilia. Very down-to-earth, romantic culture. If there was one place that made me think twice about coming back to the United States, it was Sicily! Sicily has a huge part of my heart and always will. I miss you Sicilia! Grazie.

Travel Banter Blog
@------->--------

*After being back in California, I mix Italian and Spanish together. At one time, I spoke Italian enough to only hang out with the Sicilians. They used to smile when I spoke. I had taken an Italian class and spoke very proper Italian. The dialects varied from township to township. All of the Sicilians I knew treated me like family. Pray all of you are well dear friends.