Ads By CbproAds

Sunday, May 15, 2005


The Cologne Cathedral and Hohenzollern Bridge

Tags:


Wow! While surfing the poster images, I ran across across The Cologne (Koln) Cathedral and Hohenzollern Bridge. This is mentioned in a previous post about how we used to go see this really tall cathedral and cross the Rhine River to go to a Spanish restaurant we loved.

Out of all of the places I've lived, Germany gave me a lesson on how to appreciate culture. The Germans have suffered many wars and have had to rebuild their country many, many times. The warmth that I felt there was a family type of warmth.

This is one place that I had the luxury of living on the economy. I lived on Bitburg Air Base for a year and lived in Kyllburg for nearly 2 years. I'll have to check the spelling of Kyllburg since it's been over 20 years since I've lived there. Kyllburg was a little town that looked like it came out of a fairy tale.

The houses were close together, very colorful, and were on a hill. Every Saturday it wasn't uncommon to see women beating their rugs across their balconies. You actually could eat off of the floor of most German homes. The locals were friendly and often I would walk down to the market for fresh fruit and vegetables. I was always greeted with smiles. Can you believe the Deutsch Mark was got up to 3.45 to the dollar when I was there?

Kyllburg Link (I miss this beautiful place...it was home. I lived on the right side about five buildings along the right. The large building is the church on the hill. I used to turn left at the church and start down the hill to my home. The market was at the bottom of the hill. Gosh, guess I'm homesick). You will see me refer to every place I ever lived as home. :o) Didn't think I could find a picture of where I used to live on the Internet. Wonder if my landlords still live there. Wow.

Pruem was the adjacent town that was nearby. I loved my German landlords. The wife would often send the husband over with fresh baked goodies and I would always return the favor by taking them American Ice Cream. It was a great trade arrangement (her pastries were awesome).

I loved Kyllburg and it's curvy streets. I felt like a NASCAR race driver while commuting to work. The area was extremely green and I belive the approaching streets to Kyllburg were 100 Kilometers. The autobaun was the greatest. No speed limits.

If you ever have a chance to go to Germany, leave the tourist attractions from time to time. Germany has such a refreshing culture and it was very family oriented where I was located also the many places I traveled to througout Germany.

There was one historical moment that happened to me while in Germany. I had the honor of protecting the President of the United States. President Reagan, may your soul rest in peace.

One day I'll tell you about a festival I went to at Bernkastel. I asked for a glass of wine and they gave me a whole bottle. I took one bewildered look around the festival and realized no one was drinking out of a glass. Everyone were drinking out of their own individual bottle. Can you imagine this happening in the states? :o) Amazing and truly beautiful, warm, and loving country. I love you Germany and I will treasure you always!

Take a look at my favorite refuge while in Germany. The Twin Peaks is the Koln Cathedral on the Rhine River. Now you know my secret hideaway while in Germany.
The Cologne Cathedral and Hohenzollern Bridge silhouetted at dusk




Buy this Giclee Print at AllPosters.com